Although many of the Nitro Jam events leading up to this race have been plagued by rain, fans at the Northern Nationals will be treated to not only the two days of IHRA Nitro Jam competition, but will also be a part of the conclusion of the previous Maryland International Raceway President’s Cup Nationals fueled by Sunoco which was cut short by remnants of Tropical Storm Bill. The IHRA Pro Stockers completed two rounds of competition while the Nitro Funny Car, Pro Modified and the Nitro Harley classes each finished only one round of competition.
Jet Dragster fans will enjoy a huge bonus as the weekend’s competition will not only include the completion of the Maryland International Raceway competition, but also the Cordova International Raceway Summer Nationals where Jet Dragster eliminations were cut short as well. In addition to the exciting Jet Dragster competition, Dave Modder and Dragon's Fyre 1940 Ford pickup truck will be a popular added attraction at the Northern Nationals. The flame-belching, ground-pounding passes never fail to drop the jaw of even the most jaded motorsports fan.
New this season, the wildest class in drag racing returns to its birthplace – the IHRA. The Crower Pro Modified category features these wildly bodied nitrous oxide, turbocharged, and supercharged powered supercars rocketing the cars down the US 131 Motorsports Park quarter-mile at speeds in excess of 250 miles per hour.
Another new feature for 2015 is the inclusion of IHRA Summit Racing Equipment Pro-Am racing at the US 131 Northern Nationals. An IHRA event typically held as a separate event is now formatted into IHRA Nitro Jam format, where fans can watch standout sportsman racers in Stock, Super Stock, Hot Rod, Super Rod, Quick Rod plus the very popular Good Vibrations Top Dragster, and Good Vibrations Top Sportsman.
Did you know?
• The leading news going into the US 131 Motorsports Park Northern Nationals presented by Aeromotive is the tight 2015 Nitro Jam points’ race. The IHRA Nitro Jam world championship points chase for ALL categories could be a major “game changer” at this single event.
• In Nitro Funny Car, only 45 points divide Mike McIntire leading with the Mac Attack ’72 Camaro and Jason Rupert in his Black Plague ’69 Camaro Funny Car. At the last few events, Rupert has been on the verge of breaking the current IHRA ET record that is currently held by McIntire.
• Crower Pro Modified currently sits with only six points dividing leader Ruben Tetsoshvili and Dina Parise for the IHRA Nitro Jam world championship point’s competition. Less than 100 points divide the top 5 competitors. Attending his first IHRA Nitro Jam for 2015, Billy Harper is the current #1 qualifier from the Maryland International Raceway President’s Cup Nationals with a 5.79 ET at 239mph. Harper, hailing from Paducah, Kentucky, could use these performance levels to totally shake up the current Crower Pro Modified point’s chase.
• The Nitro Harley class is making a unique appearance for the Michigan region. US 131 Motorsports Park fans will witness 200 mph nitro-powered Harley's rocketing down the quarter-mile drag strip on one wheel. Only 23 points divide three major riders. The 2014 IHRA Crewchief of the year, Jay Turner is the current leader while Tracy Kile trails by only three points and 2014 World Championship runner-up Randal Andras rounds out the top-three leaders.
• With over 100 points accumulated between qualifying and elimination for those racers who do well at each Nitro Jam event, the current points spread for IHRA Mountain Motor Pro Stocks features a tight five-way point’s competition. John Montecalvo, Cary GoForth, John DeFlorian Jr., JR Carr, and Kevin Bealko are the current top points leaders in the 800+ cubic inch powered monsters of the IHRA quarter-mile.
• The Northern Nationals is the ninth race on the 2015 IHRA Nitro Jam Drag Racing Series North American Tour. There are two events remaining before the Nitro Jam Drag Racing Series championship finale at Memphis International Raceway in October.
• Tickets to the Northern Nationals presented by Aeromotive at US 131 Motorsports Park can be purchased at the gate on the day of event or online at www.us131msp.com. Nitro Jam is scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday, and 2 p.m. Saturday. For more information, please visit www.nitrojam.com, www.us131msp.com or call (269) 672-7800.